Florida Supercon set to use The Jackie Gleason Theater for Main Events Stage! Historic Venue will be used in tandem with The Miami Beach Convention Center for South Florida’s largest Comic Con event of the year.
Florida Supercon is scheduled for July 1-4, 2016, and will make use of the Jackie Gleason Theater on Saturday, July 2 and Sunday, July 3. Clear paths between the Convention Center and the theater will be marked off for quick and convenient transit between Hall C and the Jackie Gleason Theater. Florida Supercon will be utilizing Hall C and D of The Miami Beach Convention Center for the entirety of the event. The addition of the Jackie Gleason Theater is in part due to ongoing renovations at The Miami Beach Convention Center, which will have Hall A and B under construction during the event. Rather than shrink the event during renovations, Florida Supercon has chosen to expand in a move that will see the main stage shifted from its previous location in Hall C to the Jackie Gleason Theater.
“It’s exciting to be able to use the historic Jackie Gleason Theater as our main stage this year. I can’t think of any other comic con that has such a cool main stage venue… and certainly the historic significance of the building can’t be ignored,” Mike Broder, President and Founder of Florida Supercon, said. “I can’t think of a better stage to host our celebrity headliners like William Shatner, as well as our costume contest, which is one of the signature events of our show.”
Some of the highlights for Florida Supercon 2016 include:
- Star Trek 50th Anniversary celebration featuring William Shatner “Captain Kirk,” Karl Urban “Dr. McCoy,” Walter Koenig “Pavel Chekov,” Michael Dorn “Worf,” Denise Crosby “Tasha Yar,” Robert Picardo “The Doctor,” René Auberjonois “Odo,” Robert Duncan McNeill “Tom Paris,” David Warner “Chancellor Gorkon & St. John Talbot,” Chase Masterson “Leeta the Bajoran,” and Star Trek: The Motion Picture Cinematographer Bruce Logan.
- Star of Gotham on FOX, Ben McKenzie “Jim Gordon.”
- Star Wars cast members Jeremy Bulloch “Boba Fett,” Tim Rose “Admiral Ackbar,” Jessica Henwick “Jessika Pava,” Chris Parsons “4-Lom,” and Star Wars: A New Hope special effects coordinator Bruce Logan.
- DC’s Legends of Tomorrow stars Arthur Darvill “Rip Hunter” and Casper Crump “Vandal Savage.”
- Doctor Who stars Alex Kingston “River Song” and Arthur Darvill “Rory Williams.”
- The Walking Dead Cast Members Michael Cudlitz “Abraham Ford,” and Denise Crosby “Mary.”
- First Time Ever TRON Reunion with Bruce Boxleitner “TRON,” David Warner “Sark,” Cindy Morgan “Yori,” and TRON Cinematographer Bruce Logan.
- Game of Thrones cast members Natalia Tena “Osha” and Jessica Henwick “Nymeria Sand.”
- Harry Potter stars Natalia Tena “Tonks,” and Devon Murray “Seamus Finnigan.”
- Sesame Street cast members Emilio Delgado “Luis” and Bob McGrath “Bob Johnson.”
- Steven Universe stars Zach Callison “Steven,” Michaela Dietz “Amethyst,” and Grace Rolek “Connie.”
- Henry Winkler, star of Happy Days, Children’s Hospital, and The Waterboy.
- Wrestling Superstars: Mick Foley, Diamond Dallas Page, Jerry “The King” Lawler, The Godfather, Road Warrior Animal, and Demolition.
- Pokémon 20th Anniversary celebration with stars Veronica Taylor “Ash Ketchum”, Michael Liscio Jr. “Clemont and Inkay,” Tara Sands “Bulbasaur, Richie, Sammy, Oddish and Jasmine,” Haven Paschall “Serena,” and Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld “Bonnie, Nurse Joy, Jasmine and Audino.”
- Anime and Animation Stars: Vic Mignogna (Fullmetal Alchemist, Dragon Ball Z, Ouran High School), Caitlin Glass (Fullmetal Alchemist, Ouran High School), Steve Blum (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Transformers: Prime, Wolverine and the X-Men), Jeremy Shada (Adventure Time), Trina Nishimura (Attack on Titan, Witchblade, Claymore), Dana Snyder (Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Squidbillies), Jim Cummings (Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Darkwing Duck), Veronica Taylor (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Sailor Moon), Larry Kenney (Thundercats, Count Chocula), Charles Martinet (Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi for Nintendo), and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (Ghost In The Shell, Steven Universe, Sailor Moon).
- Dozens of Comic Book Artists and Writers for Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, The Avengers, and more!
- Multiple costume and cosplay events each day of the show, with thousands of dollars in cash and prizes on the line!
- Over 500,000 square feet of convention space featuring over 600 booths and tables with vendors, celebrity guests, artists, filmmakers, and exhibits. 3 stages of entertainment, video games, plus a dozen rooms for panels, tabletop gaming and screenings.
Florida Supercon is an annual four-day Comic Con event. Now in its 11th year, Supercon will take place JULY 1- 4, 2016 at The Miami Beach Convention Center and The Fillmore Miami Beach at the Jackie Gleason Theater. Celebrities from Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, Gotham, and Lord of the Rings will all be in attendance, alongside artists and writers of Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, The Avengers, and more. Supercon celebrates Comic Books, Anime, Animation, Video Games, Fantasy, Sci-Fi and Pop Culture, with over 600 events, such as celebrity meet and greets, Q&A’s, film screenings, industry panels, costume & cosplay contests, parties, educational workshops, video game tournaments, and more!
ABOUT THE FILLMORE MIAMI BEACH AT THE JACKIE GLEASON THEATER:
Opened in 1957 under the name the Miami Beach Municipal Auditorium, the venue was originally used as a stage for popular variety shows such as The Jackie Gleason Show, The Dick Clark Show, and The Ed Sullivan Show. The theater was renamed The Jackie Gleason Theater of Performing Arts in 1987, in remembrance of the great comedian’s contributions to the community. The 1990s saw the birth of the theater as both a great theatrical and performance center, as well as a concert hall, and was renamed The Fillmore Miami Beach at the Jackie Gleason Theater in 2007 after Live Nation took over management of the venue.